STL, abbreviation for stereolithrography, is an interchangeable file format that represents 3-dimensional surface geometry. The file format finds its usage in several fields such as rapid prototyping, 3D printing and computer-aided manufacturing. It represents a surface as a series of small triangles, known as facets, where each facet is described by a perpendicular direction and three points representing the vertices of the triangle.
BMPBitmap File Format
Files having extension .BMP represent Bitmap Image files that are used to store bitmap digital images. These images are independent of graphics adapter and are also called device independent bitmap (DIB) file format. This independency serves the purpose of opening the file on multiple platforms such as Microsoft Windows and Mac. The BMP file format can store data as two-dimensional digital images in both monochrome as well as color format with various colour depths.
Other Supported Conversions
You can also convert STL into many other file formats. Please see the complete list below.
- STL to 3DS (3D Studio Mesh File Format)
- STL to BMP (Bitmap File Format)
- STL to DRC (DRM Rights Object)
- STL to FBX (Filmbox Interchange File)
- STL to JPG (Joint Photographic Expert Group Image File)
- STL to OBJ (Geometry Definition File Format)
- STL to PDF (Portable Document)
- STL to PNG (Portable Network Graphic)
- STL to SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics File)
- STL to TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)